Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
There’s no flour or gluten of any kind in this thick and creamy gluten-free Broccoli Cheddar Soup, and let me tell you, this is comfort food 101. This rich, creamy, and cheesy soup is perfect from the first bite to the last, and you won’t believe how easy it is to make! The secret ingredient is cauliflower, which adds so much creaminess to the soup! Craving a hug in a bowl? This soup is for you!
Nothing says comfort food quite like a bowl of this gluten-free Broccoli Cheddar Soup. It’s so easy to make, and it rivals anything you’d get in a restaurant. It’s thick, rich, creamy, and cheesy – all the things a good broccoli cheese soup should be!
Gluten-free Broccoli Cheese Soup
The secret ingredient in this broccoli cheese soup recipe is cauliflower. When cooked, cauliflower gets really super creamy, and it adds so much lovely texture to this soup without overpowering the flavor. You won’t even taste it!
Also, be sure to use good quality sharp cheddar cheese. Or even extra sharp. That tangy cheddar flavor is what you’re looking for, and don’t forget to save a bit to garnish the tops of the bowls.
Why I love this recipe
- It’s easy to make and is ready in about 30 minutes. You can’t beat that!
- This gluten-free Broccoli Cheddar Soup freezes like a dream! See my tips below for freezing your leftovers.
- It is flavorful and delicious and tastes even better the next day!
Gather these ingredients
- Oil – Use a flavor-neutral cooking oil.
- Broccoli – Cut into small florets.
- Cauliflower – Cut into small florets.
- Fresh garlic – Minced fine.
- Chicken broth – I use low or no-sodium added.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese – Shredded.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
- Green onion – Optional garnish; sliced thinly.
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning – Optional garnish.
How to make the best gluten-free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets and set them aside. Just use the crowns for this recipe; avoid using the stem and core.
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat and saute the broccoli and cauliflower for 3-5 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the chicken broth and heavy cream to the pot and bring it to a boil, then immediately turn the heat down to a simmer and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Don’t overcook the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Puree the mixture with an immersion blender or regular blender.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheddar cheese, stirring as you add it in, until melted and combined.
- Serve immediately with a dash of Everything But The Bagel seasoning and sliced green onions.
Tips & substitutions
- Don’t overcook the vegetables! You don’t want the broccoli and cauliflower to be mushy.
- You can use vegetable broth or bone broth instead of chicken broth.
- Use low or no-sodium-added broth to control the salt.
- You can use half-and-half cream to lighten it up if you like.
- Cheese is salty. Taste the soup before adjusting the seasoning.
There’s nothing tastier than a soup and sandwich, so I love pairing this broccoli cheddar soup with a grilled cheese sandwich or even a decadent lobster roll. This fabulous soup also makes a terrific first course, and paired with main dishes like Chicken Veronique or vegetable-sausage foil packs, it’s a hearty and delicious meal.
Store any leftover soup in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the leftover soup by packing it in a freezer-safe container for up to a month.
Check out these awesome soup recipes while you’re here
Get the Recipe:
Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 5 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium (or vegetable broth, or bone broth)
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onion, slices (garnish)
- Sprinkled with Everything but The Bagel seasoning
- Prepare the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil on medium heat and saute the broccoli and cauliflower for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the temperature and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Do not overcook the broccoli and cauliflower (you do not want it to be mushy).
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture.
- Keep the heat on LOW, and add the shredded cheddar cheese, stirring as you add it, until the cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away. Optional to sprinkle the soup with a dash of Everything but The Bagel seasoning on top with a few more sprinkles of cheese and a sprinkle of green onion slices.
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...