Mozzarella Chicken Bake
Baked Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken is an easy mozzarella chicken bake recipe made with cheese and marina, served with a side of sweet onions.
Enjoy this Mozzarella Chicken Marinara Recipe for dinner tonight! Such an easy chicken dinner to make, it’s good enough for company, too. Delish with fresh basil!
Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
This Baked Chicken Marinara recipe is sliced open and stuffed with cheese and basil, and a thick slice of Mozzarella cheese. It’s a delicious alternative to chicken parmesan. We often crave Chicken Parmigiana, and head down to our local Italian restaurant to get our fill. But it’s also a fun recipe to make at home. Today, this short version–smothered in sauce and stuffed with mozzarella cheese–is served with sweet onions.
Why we love this recipe
If you don’t have the time to make a restaurant quality dinner but you’re craving those flavors, it’s a short recipe of Chicken Parmesan.
Delicious served any time of year.
Add a slice of tomato with fresh basil, and balsamic glaze, to make it Stuffed Chicken Caprese!
A hit at every dinner party!
Ingredients needed for Mozzarella Chicken Bake
- Chicken breasts
- Mozzarella cheese (we like fresh Mozzarella slices)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Dellalo Marinara Sauce (or your favorite brand)
- Sweet onion
- Dried thyme
How to make Mozzarella stuffed chicken breasts
- Make an incision in each chicken breast large enough for the Mozzarella and basil to fit inside (do not cut great all the way through).
- Stuff each chicken breast with a slice of Mozzarella and a basil leaf and place on greased baking sheet.
- Salt and pepper both sides; cover breasts with marinara sauce on each breast.
Serve with sweet onions
- For the onions, melt butter in pan on medium/low heat.
- Add onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and substitutions:
You may also stuff the chicken breast with cheese, bell peppers, onion and minced garlic.
Sprinkle mild cheddar cheese on top of chicken and then poured the sauce and sprinkled parmesan.
Serve with spaghetti squash or pasta, or over zucchini noodles, rice, or steamed vegetables.
Serve over spaghetti with salad and glass of wine….delicious!
Garnish and enjoy!
Garnish with freshly chopped parmesan cheese and serve.
Words of hospitality and wisdom
Hospitality is not always beautiful or perfect, we all know that. But if we continue to invite the same people over, again and again, and we are not feeling nurtured by the friendship, then I promise, you will burn out.
The people we spend time with affect us so, so I like to ask myself if spending time with certain people makes me a better person (to be the best that I can be for my husband, family, my work and community)–or not. Insecure friends in particular are tough, because you’re always having to walk on eggshells, worry about what you say, instead of being yourself.
If we want a more simple life, complicated people are not going to help us achieve that goal. Choosing friends wisely is important!
All this to say, when you’re hosting a dinner, invite some new, fresh, positive people over!
You’ll be surprised how the hours will whiz by, and you’ll want to continue to forge these friendships.
More chicken recipes to try:
Get the Recipe:
Mozzarella Chicken Marinara Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 slices Mozzarella cheese, I like fresh Mozzarella, thick slices
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1 20 oz Dellalo Marinara Sauce
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
How to prepare and stuff the chicken breasts:
- Make an incision in each chicken breast large enough for the Mozzarella and basil to fit inside (do not cut great all the way through). Stuff each chicken breast with a slice of Mozzarella and a basil leaf and place on greased baking sheet.
- Salt and pepper both sides; cover breasts with about 3/4 c. marinara sauce on each breast.
- Bake at 400 until fully cooked, 30-35 minutes.
How to cook the onions:
- For the onions, melt butter in pan on medium/low heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown, 10-15 minutes while the chicken is baking.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken and onions together with fresh chopped basil on top.
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...