Stick of Butter Rice
Imagine rice that’s fluffy, soft, and infused with flavor – Stick of Butter Rice is the easy rice side dish that will change dinner time forever! It is so easy to make, and it turns out perfectly every time. This easy rice side dish is a must-try for anyone who loves rice or has struggled to make it!
Stick of Butter Rice is a baked rice side dish infused with chicken or beef broth and onion soup mix flavor. More of a baked rice casserole, this recipe actually has 2 sticks of butter in it because it makes slightly more than some other recipes, which is great for leftovers or if you need to feed a crowd.
What is Stick of Butter Rice?
This rice recipe is unbelievably easy. There’s no rinsing, no fancy rice cookers required, and the whole dish bakes perfectly in a 9×13-inch dish. And it’s delicious! The buttery flavor transforms humble rice into a dish that tastes much fancier than it is! And, with a few pantry staples like prepared onion soup mix, there’s hardly any prep to making this dish.
You can also switch up this rice by changing the flavors. See all my tips below for amazing Stick of Butter Rice variations.
Ready to wow everyone? Make this Stick of Butter Rice and pair it with your favorite dishes for a show-stopping meal everyone will love!
Why I love this recipe
- It makes enough for about 8 servings, so it’s great for leftovers or if you have family or friends coming for dinner.
- It’s a delicious side dish recipe that pairs well with so many other dishes. See some of my suggestions below.
- You can freeze any leftovers for a quick meal another time.
Gather these ingredients
- Long grain white rice – You need regular rice, not instant rice.
- Onion soup mix – Use Lipton’s onion soup mix or your favorite brand.
- Beef broth – Use low or no sodium-added broth.
- Unsalted butter – The dish will be too salty if you use salted butter.
How to make Stick of Butter Rice
- Preheat your oven to 425-F and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set this aside.
- Combine the rice, onion soup mix, and broth in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour the rice mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Slice the sticks of butter into ½ tablespoon-sized slices and place them evenly over the top of the rice mixture.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake at 425-F for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Fluff the rice before serving, and enjoy!
Do you need to rinse the rice before using it?
Rinsing the starch from rice is recommended for some kinds of rice, but for this Stick of Butter Rice dish using long-grain rice, it isn’t necessary.
Tips & substitutions
- Onion soup mix can be on the salty side. To control the salt in your rice dish, use unsalted butter and low- or no-sodium added broth.
- You can use beef, chicken, or vegetable broth in this recipe. For the best flavor, use homemade broth or a good quality store-bought broth.
- Turn this dish into mushroom rice by slicing some mushrooms into it before baking.
- Different brands of rice cook at different times. Keep an eye on your rice and stir it before you put it back in the oven after removing the foil.
How do you know when rice is cooked?
Rice is cooked when the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy. You can taste a bit. Rice grains should have some firmness but shouldn’t be crunchy.
This is such a hearty and flavorful side dish, and it pairs so well with many other main dishes! I love serving it along with Rosemary Pork Tenderloin, roasted whole chicken, or sweet and flaky salmon.
Store any leftover rice in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can also freeze the leftovers by packing them into a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to a month. To reheat frozen rice, transfer the thawed rice to a microwave-safe container, cover it with plastic wrap and heat in intervals, stirring in between.
Check out these awesome rice recipes while you’re here
Get the Recipe:
Stick of Butter Rice
- 2 cup long grain white rice, not instant
- 2 packet onion soup mix
- 5 cups low sodium broth, you can use chicken or beef or vegetable
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the rice, onion soup, and broth and stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Slice the butter into smaller pieces and place on top of the rice (in even pattern).
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove and fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...