Quinoa and Currant Summer Salad

Sometimes our greatest joys come from life’s simplest pleasures.

Like spending 3 days with our friends from Portland, with their three little kids.

With our kids being 20, 18, and 16 now, we’re really digging the little kids’ ages.

(photo from Abby)

They are so cute, interactive, and fun to be with, and to be quite honest, it does make me miss the younger years of parenting. But not how exhausted I always was! :)

We do a lot of cooking when they come down to our place, but Steph is great about bringing food with her, and they, like us – like to eat fresh!

This time she brought a killer quinoa salad that I couldn’t wait to make again. We’re big quinoa fans here, but I’m always amazed at how many people don’t really know what it is.

So, taken from About.com, here’s a blurb about quinoa:

What is quinoa?
While quinoa is usually considered to be a whole grain, it is actually a seed, but can be prepared like whole grains such as rice or barley. Try a quinoa pilaf salad recipe, or serve a vegetable stir-fry over cooked quinoa instead of rice. Quinoa is my favorite whole grain for three reasons: First, it takes less time to cook than other whole grains – just 10 to 15 minutes. Second, quinoa tastes great on its own, unlike other grains such as millet or teff. Add a bit of olive oil, sea salt and lemon juice and – yum! Finally, of all the whole grains, quinoa has the highest protein content, so it’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans. Quinoa provides all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Quinoa is a gluten-free and cholesterol-free whole grain, is kosher for Passover, and is almost always organic.

So here’s the fabulous, fresh, and family-friendly recipe that I think you’ll love.

I have to say the currants really make the salad unique and tasty!

My kids are already asking me when I’ll be making it again.

What’s your favorite way to cook with quinoa?

17 Responses to “Quinoa and Currant Summer Salad”

Aggie — August 7, 2012 @ 4:32 am

Oh Sandy I’m loving this!! My favorite way to eat quinoa is in salad form like this. I love the nuts & sweetness from the currents mixed in, yum!!

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — August 7, 2012 @ 5:02 am

So funny…..I was just putting together a quinoa salad with some leftover from Sunday dinner. I’m using a curry yogurt dressing and adding mango, raisins and onions. The main meal was ratatouille served over steamed quinoa (all veggies grown from the garden). Love the nutty taste of the quinoa.

Ro — August 7, 2012 @ 6:37 am

Look forward to reading your blog each day… So with all due respect, it is currant, not current :)

Lori @ RecipeGirl — August 7, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to see you soon!! XO

Rebecca — August 7, 2012 @ 8:54 am

This sounds fabulous! Do you think it’s ok to substitute raisins for currants? I don’t stock currants in my pantry but I do have raisins! Can’t wait to try!

Cassie — August 7, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Sounds like a fun time with friends, adorable kids too! And I love quinoa salads. This is a unique one too, I love trying new ones!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 7, 2012 @ 10:46 am

looks great girl! hope you’re well!

Kim — August 7, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

That’s one gorgeous salad, and it looks and sounds like you are having a great time with your visitors! I have a box of quinoa in my pantry and now I know just what I am making with it! :-)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 7, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

Wow I have to make this really soon, it looks so fantastic! I have the best of both worlds with 2 older kids and one younger.

Angie — August 8, 2012 @ 6:12 am

My favorite way is a salad too, and I love this one, perfect for summer!

Kristen — August 8, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

Loving the looks of this salad. I think I need to send my kids to visit you for some time with Aunt Sandy :)

emily — August 8, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

this looks incredible!! i love quinoa salads … one of my faVorites has similar ingredients as this one, including the mint, which totally makes the salad. i do love to add feta cheese :)

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — August 9, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

Such a beautiful salad!

Elen Grey — August 17, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

Friday night. We’re having this for dinner. :-) Thank you, Sandy.

marla — August 27, 2012 @ 6:52 am

Hi Sandy! Great recipe! Will be linking back to this in my post today :)

1. Pingback: Oregold Peach Quinoa Salad and Harry & David Orchard Tour | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 100 New Lunchbox Ideas To Try