Summertime Watermelon Salsa Recipe
This Watermelon Salsa Recipe is fresh and delicious served with pita chips, corn chips, veggies, or on the side with fish, chicken, and steak!
Happy Cinco de Mayo, Friends! This post has been updated with a new video! Over the weekend we ate a lot of watermelon, in several fruit salads, and in a couple new delicious recipes! Our favorite? This Watermelon Salsa Recipe, so good with the perfect chip (or pita cracker)!
Perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration!
Last night it was just the 5 of us, all together for dinner in our backyard enjoying the summer landscape, pets brushing up against our legs in a curling fashion under the patio table.
Which, by the way, this type of greeting from cats, is very normal and has to do with how long it has been since the cat has seen you. It’s a sort of behavior thing that is an exchange of scents between you and your cat. Our dog, Haggis, tends to do the same, but instead he plants little kisses on our legs. I’m sure he’s anticipating a crumb or two to fall to the ground. (Below, our kitty who’s going to be very sad when Abby leaves for college in the fall.)
Coming together to enjoy a meal with our kids, and engage in long conversations, is always special. I love it when they ask questions about Paul’s and my early lives. I savor these days quite fondly as we’re able to dine together.
I know the day is coming when we will be scattered. I hate that word, but I do anticipate this dreaded time. On the other hand, we’ve prayed for and encouraged our kids for years to follow their passions, and soar with their dreams!
Watermelon Salsa Recipe
Back to juicy, sweet watermelon. Some salt their watermelon. Some eat it plain.
It’s also delicious to eat a hunk on the rind. Or even salted!
Always delicious fresh in a fruit salad.
And in this watermelon salsa recipe today I added some of our favorite salsa ingredients, along with mango, and we enjoyed it on our steak and also with pita chips! It’s great on chicken and fish, too!
So summery – fresh! ENJOY!
Watermelon Salsa Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest (from about 1 lime)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or use honey)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups seeded and finely chopped watermelon
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped (optional: use cilantro)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Tortilla or pita chips, for serving
- Stir together the lime zest, lime juice, sugar (or honey); lightly salt and pepper.
- Add the watermelon, cucumber, mango, jalapeno, onion and basil (or cilantro) and toss gently.
- Chill the salsa until ready to serve.
- Add the garlic salt just before serving. Serve with pita chips or corn chips, or serve on top of steak, chicken, pork, or fish.