Recipe for Banana Cream Pie
This recipe for Banana Cream Pie has a delicious homemade filling, bananas, and an easy-press crust. Serve with fresh whipped cream.
My Banana Cream Pie recipe is especially good when berries aren’t always available. Which means winter and early spring. It’s creamy, rich, and a family favorite!
Best Banana Cream Pie Recipe
My sis, Linda shared this recipe with me many years ago. It’s a keeper, so get ready to print and save :) Of course, this Sour Cream Lemon Pie is another family favorite! Or, use frozen berries for this Frozen Mixed Berry Compote (served on vanilla ice cream).
Why we love this recipe
The easy-press crust is my favorite!
It reminds me of my childhood.
An easy make-ahead dessert for company!
Ingredients for Banana Cream Pie
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Eggs yolks
- Fresh lemon
- Heavy whipping cream
- Powdered sugar
Ingredients for Easy Press Pie Crust
- Oil and milk
- Flour and sugar and salt
How to make Recipe for Banana Cream Pie
- Make the easy-press pie crust
- Make the pie filling (homemade is the best, don’t use a pudding mix!)
- Arrange the bananas on the bottom of the pie crust
- Pour the pie filling over the bananas and spread evenly
- Chill for 4 hours until set
- Serve with fresh whipped cream
This recipe was in my book, years ago (did you know I wrote a book in 2010? Now out of print).
Banana Cream Pie. I’m going to call it BEST Banana Cream Pie, because it truly is the BEST!
I couldn’t be more grateful than this week of Easter. We’re home together, and Easter is alive and in our hearts and it’s going to be a beautiful day!
Tips and substitutions:
- Leave out the bananas and just make a vanilla custard pie.
- You can serve it with or without whipped cream. You can even add vanilla ice cream.
- Make it crustless: Use the custard for a smaller dessert (in small bowls) with whipped cream.
- Take the leftovers and put into parfait glasses (with more whipped cream).
More pie recipes to try:
This savory Easter Pie
Winter Pie Dessert Charcuterie
Berry Mini Pavlova Dessert Platter
Get the Recipe:
Best Banana Cream Pie
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs yolks
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 medium bananas
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
Easy Press Pie Crust:
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whip oil and milk together with a fork. Add in the dry ingredients and mix with fork until blended.
- Press the crust into a pie pan and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Pie filling:
- In heavy saucepan, dissolve cornstarch in water; stir in the condensed milk and egg yolks.
- Cook over medium heat and stir until thick and bubbly. Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla. Mix well; cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the bananas and put in a bowl with fresh lemon juice.
- Arrange the bananas on the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the pie filling over the bananas and spread evenly.
- Chill for 4 hours until set.
- In a small bowl, whip the cream and add 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Spread over the pie right before serving.