Summer Crunchy Romaine Salad
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Crunchy Romaine Salad with Cucumber and Mango is simple and fresh for summer. Pair with your favorite dressing and serve!
Looking for a last minute, easy and delicious romaine lettuce salad recipe? This Summer Crunchy Romaine Salad is a crowd pleaser, made with Trader Joe’s Vegan Creamy Dill Dressing. It has the perfect crunch, and you’ll love every bite!
Crunchy Romaine Salad
In the summertime, I love to pair grilled meats and charred bread with crisp lettuce, and crunchy vegetables, like cucumber, baby bell pepper, and celery. Summer fruits, like mango, add sweetness to the salad, while the endives add a bit of contrasting bitterness.
If you love mandarin oranges, try our Orange Cranberry Summer Slaw Salad – so good!
The avocado adds creaminess that is much different from the tangy, beet sauerkraut (which also adds healthy probiotics and a vibrant, purple hue to the salad—I bet you didn’t know that you could put sauerkraut on more than a sandwich!)
And what about serving it in our epic XL salad bowl, with the teak servers. Get the info below – we have 12 bowls in stock!
Crunchy Romaine Salad Ingredients
Ingredients you’ll need – print off the full recipe below!
Summertime is salad season for sure in our home. No matter how many salad recipes we make, we’re always on the lookout for an easy, go-to recipe that is versatile enough to pair with many meals. This romaine lettuce salad is super quick.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Romaine lettuce hearts
- Baby bell peppers
- Salad dressing (my favorites are Trader Joe’s Vegan Creamy Dill Dressing or Trader Joe’s Toasted Sesame Dressing)
- Beet sauerkraut
Why we love this crunchy salad
When I was growing up, my mom served pretty much every meal with a big green salad made with iceberg lettuce. As we got older, she started using romaine lettuce, and then eventually when her garden took off, we’d have fresh garden greens.
Almost daily, I reach for this epic salad bowl. We eat salads almost every day in the summer. There are quite a few substitutions you can make for this salad—I always say, use what you have.
We love romaine lettuce, because it’s sturdy, and holds up well in the fridge. It also has a nice crunch, for a very fresh salad.
You can serve this salad with any meal.
Here’s how to make this salad:
Combine all of the vegetables and mango into a large bowl (but not the sauerkraut).
Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Garnish with the sauerkraut and serve chilled.
Tips and substitutions:
This salad is highly adaptable, and some ingredients you can swap in are carrots, apples, strawberries, butter leaf, radicchio, blueberries, snap peas, and more! I try to use any leftover produce that is about to go bad to make this salad, as it’s a great way to use up excess fruits and veggies.
- In place of romaine, use your favorite lettuce (or spinach).
- For more crunch, add radishes, croutons, and red onion.
- You can also use Green Goddess Dressing (or a Caesar dressing).
- If you want to add cheese, add shaved Parmesan cheese, clumps of goat cheese, or feta cheese.
- You can also make your own breadcrumbs (with panko) for a nice sprinkled topping.
- Always feel free to add your favorite nuts.
Buy the XL Epic Salad Bowl with wood servers
Here’s our favorite epic salad bowl with servers (tongs). We have 12 NEW bowls in stock so buy while they are available!
More summer salads to try:
Summer Crunchy Romaine Salad
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts
- 2-3 Persian cucumbers or 1/2 large English cucumber, cut into half moons
- 1 mango, diced
- 3 endives, chopped
- 4-5 baby bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 large stalks celery, finely sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced (tossed in some lemon juice to prevent browning, if desired)
- Salad dressing, My favorites are Trader Joe's Vegan Creamy Dill Dressing OR Trader Joe's Toasted Sesame Dressing
- ½ c beet sauerkraut
- Combine all of the vegetables and mango into a large bowl (but not the sauerkraut). Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Garnish with the sauerkraut and serve chilled.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.