Josh’s Favorite Double Cheeseburger Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links.
Enjoy a big, juicy burger for dinner! Make Josh’s Favorite Double Cheeseburger recipe, the best cheesy burger from Two Peas and Their Pod Cookbook!
I’m so excited to share with you today Josh’s Favorite Double Cheeseburger recipe from my good friend Maria’s new cookbook, Two Peas and Their Pod Cookbook!
Brand NEW Two Peas and Their Pod Cookbook
This cookbook is amazing, Friends, filled with everyday recipes and easy hosting ideas!
Maria and Josh blog at Two Peas and Their Pod, and because it’s still so beautiful and warm here in central Oregon, we whipped up a batch of their double cheeseburgers!
Double Cheeseburger Recipe
This burger recipe is for all meat-lover, burger-lover peeps!
And if you’re still using up garden zucchini, go ahead and try my Summer Zucchini Turkey Burgers! In fact, make both recipes if you’re hosting a crowd!
Favorite Double Cheeseburger Recipe
Our guests went crazy over the deliciousness! Double the meat (using 2 kinds of meat) and cheese.
The flavor of these Favorite Double Cheeseburgers is out of this world. First of all, Josh uses a combo of beef and Italian sausage, with 2 kinds of cheese. We doubled up on the sharp cheddar for ours, but WOW, the mixed meat is out of this world.
How to serve burgers
Then there is a homemade aioli sauce, with a kick of smoked paprika.
Bacon makes everything better, along with red onions (you can grill or not).
We love pickles … we love pickles :)
Butter the buns and lightly toast.
Josh and Maria are our longtime friends and came to our house in Medford when their oldest, Caleb, was a baby. We had some fun together in southern Oregon (while Abby babysat), and we’ve done a lot together over the years. We’ve also traveled with them to various places over the years. That is the beauty of blogging–meeting people who become friends for life. [I think I need to recreate THIS amazing brie recipe!]
Then Maria came to visit me here in our new home 2 years ago!
Blogging friends are a true blessing, and like family. So when Maria said she had a cookbook coming out, of course I wanted to tell my readers about it.
Readers and friends, BUY THIS BOOK! You will not be disappointed.
Two Peas and Their Pod Cookbook
Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook has 115 amazing recipes, 100 NEW recipes that aren’t on their blog, and 15 blog favorites! There are recipes for: breakfast, appetizers, side dishes, salads, soups, vegetarian main dishes, meat main dishes, cookies, desserts, and easy entertaining.
And of course, cookies are Maria’s specialty.
Josh’s … meat! Love all the meat recipes in the book, plus a variety of vegetarian recipes. Basically, it’s a book that any basic cook can become a better cook, by diving into these recipes!
Buy the book!
You can buy the book, HERE.
Back to summer burgers. I’ll tell you a little secret. We actually grill burgers year-round. Do you?
We’re that serious about burgers!
Maybe you recently made our Vegetarian Sweet Potato Lentil Burgers – so good!
Double up the cheese, like Josh and Maria did. They use Harvarti (for it’s amazing meatiness), and then sharp cheddar (we love Tillamook) for the rich flavor!
Josh’s Favorite Double Cheeseburger Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 hamburger buns, we love brioche
- 1 lb (80 percent leaground beef
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices Havarti cheese
- Tomato slices
- Pickles, optional
- 16 slices bacon, cooked
Make the aioli sauce
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, garlic, smoked paprika, and salt. Set aside.
Make the burgers
- Generously butter the insides of the hamburger buns and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, sausage, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Form the meat into 16 patties, about 4 1/2 inches in diameter and and 1/4 inch thick. You want the patties to be thin, because each burger will get two. Separate each patty with a piece of wax paper so they don’t stick together, and can easily be transferred to the grill.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the onion rounds with the olive oil, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Place the patties and onion rounds directly on the hot grill. Cook the onions for 3 minutes on each side, until they are softened and have nice char lines. Cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes and flip with a spatula. Place a slice of cheese on top of each patty, so half of the patties are topped with cheddar and half with Havarti. Cook for 2-3 minutes longer, until the patties are no longer pink on the outside and the cheese has melted.
- Transfer the onion slices and burgers to a serving platter or large baking sheet. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Place the buttered hamburger buns cut side down on the grill and grill until toasted, 30-60 seconds.
- To assemble the burgers, spread the aioli on the insides of the toasted buns. Top the bottoms with two patties, and cheese. Add the grilled onions, lettuce, tomato slices (pickles are optional), and bacon and tops. Serve immediately.
This post has affiliate links. Every purchase from these links supports RE at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.