How to Season a Charcuterie Board
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tips on How to Season a Charcuterie Board that is not food safe. Clean the board, lightly sand and rub down with beeswax and mineral oil.
Hello friends! By popular demand, this post is all about HOW TO SEASON A CHARCUTERIE BOARD! Did you know that I’m the ORIGINAL creator of food on this Pier One board? That’s right, back in 2017 I started this epic food craze, and now entertaining on a big board has gone viral. I love being the orignator of this great concept.
Grab the links and buy a board below, and BE INSPIRED!
The Big Board is a great way to bring people together. It’s a casual, fun way to host. Everyone serves themselves.
All of my NEW boards are FOOD SAFE, but what if you have a board that is not?
But how do you season the boards if they are not food safe?
Here’s a great kit to buy:
It comes with oil, wax, and a small buffing pad applicator!
How to season a Charcuterie Board
If a wood board says it “not food safe,” here are the steps to make sure that it is food safe.
- Lightly sand down the board with very light sand paper. Wipe clean with a soft towel.
- Lightly rub beeswax and mineral oil over the board. Buff the oil into the wood and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Continue to apply and buff the oil into the board until the wood is no longer absorbing the product. Wipe down.
- Gently wipe again before using the first time.
We used this butcher block and cutting board oil conditioner for this process.
Or, lay down parchment paper! Easy peasy!
You can also take the steps as you would a cutting board!
How do you clean a cutting board?
- Rub the board with lemon juice or white vinegar.
- Sprinkle course Sea salt on top.
- Take a paper towel or a clean dish cloth.
- Rub the salt and the juice or the vinegar over the board and allow to soak for 15 minutes.
How do you clean a charcuterie board?
- Wipe the board, removing all food.
- Place a tiny bit of soap on a hot dish cloth. Wipe down.
- Under hot running water, lightly rinse.
- Towel dry.
How do you care for a charcuterie board?
- Wash it with soap and water and allow to air dry or wipe dry. Never put away wet.
- To re-season the board, use a soft towel or microfiber towel, and re-follow the steps above!
My most popular boards are:
Epic Charcuterie Board (watch the VIDEO!
Most popular Epic Taco Recipe Dinner Board for Taco Tuesday!
Delicious Epic Baked Potato Dinner Board (this post went viral in Australia!)
Friday night favorite Epic Clam Chowder Dinner Board (with my famous Best Clam Chowder Recipe (with 21 million views on Facebook!)
The weekend is calling – Epic Summer Waffle Brunch Board (recently shared at Better Homes & Gardens and Southern Living Magazine!)
Do you oil charcuterie boards?
- Allow to sit for 20+ minutes then, wipe dry.
- Just use enough to coat the wood and let it sit for at least 20 minutes (no need to rub it in, just make sure the cutting board is covered).
MY 2 TIPS that I have shared from day #1
- Buy a board with a lip around it, so the food doesn’t fall off.
- Make sure the board is food safe. If it doesn’t say FOOD SAFE, do not assume it is. YOU MUST PREPARE (or sesason) the board.
Remember, some of them are food safe, some are not. IT’S UP TO YOU TO CHECK THIS OUT WHEN YOU BUY A BOARD before you start serving food on it.
Where do you store The Big Board?
In our old house, we stored the board up in top of this cabinet. In the new house, we’re not quite settled yet, so for now our boards do not have a home (our kitchen is being remodeled). Stay tuned!
Remember you can follow me on Instagram for so many great ideas and “stories” or you can follow The Big Board page!
Happy Hosting, Friends!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.