Sweet Hospitality and Blueberry Scones

Blueberry Scones

Our weekend guests left for home last night, and even though it was a whirlwind trip, our time together over the Thanksgiving holiday was as precious as always. One highlight was making delicious Blueberry Scones together for breakfast. One of my friend’s favorite recipes, I can now see and “taste” why. The ingredients are easy to keep on hand, and you use frozen blueberries! I always have frozen blueberries in our freezer.

Blueberry Scones

We give up our master bedroom for out-of-town guests. We’ve learned to focus on their needs, making them as comfortable as possible, trying to give them a little break from the stress of daily life, especially when we eat together. I try to have a few menus planned, because dining together is one of the greatest gifts when having good friends in to your home – a true connection for the heart and soul.

Blueberry Scones

Building family memories, and impacting others’ lives by living hospitably, is how we set the pattern in our own homes and teach our children about hospitality. Whether around the table for a meal, sitting around visiting with a drink and snacks, or working together in the kitchen, it’s how we expand our hearts and get to know our guests better.

Blueberry Scones

I love the chatter that takes place when we’re cooking together in the kitchen. Or when a friend feels comfortable enough to make her favorite recipe, in our kitchen.

Blueberry Scones

Nothing is perfect. My kitchen pantry still needs to be reorganized. Dishes from the night before are ready to be put away. One person is loading the dishwasher and others are rummaging through the fridge for something to eat. Hubby is off to the side making waffles for the gang. There’s just a lot of activity in the kitchen. The kitchen is foreign to her, but we work together, making delicious scones, nourishment for our bodies and sweet memories for our souls.

Even the little ones help pour, stir, and take a few bites here and there.

Blueberry Scones

Hot out of the oven we served the scones with several jams and jellies, with coffee and tea.

We throw open our doors and like a mother hen, we gather our guests and create a loving space of warmth and food for a wonderful stay.

It’s what I love about inviting others in.

Sweet hospitality.

What is your favorite dish to serve to out-of-town guests?

Blueberry Scones

10 Responses to “Sweet Hospitality and Blueberry Scones”

Laura — December 2, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Looks like a great recipe! We do scones a lot (when we have time in the mornings) and also overnight mini cinnamon rolls. The rolls do take some time, but the only morning tasks are warming the oven and waiting for them to bake!

JulieD — December 2, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

I love this and your words, always, Sandy!! These scones look wonderful!

Luci {Luci's Morsels} — December 2, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

I love how simple these scones are to throw together! And what a sweet story. Entertaining extended-stay guests can be challenging for sure, but I love your mantra! I love making my family’s cinnamon streusel coffee cake – it takes some time, but the outcome is always memorable!

Luci’s Morsels – fashion. food. frivolity.

Katie @ Pearls + Girls — December 2, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

Making memories is what it’s all about! Love the pic where she is about to pop the blueberry in her mouth! Thanks for sharing, pinned the recipe, will try over the holidays!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 2, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Your hospitality is the sweetest, Sandy. I love making scones for overnight guests, too. And buttermilk pancakes with blueberry syrup, always a hit. Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving!

Elen Grey — December 2, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

I’ve clipped that. It looks scrumptious. Loved your words in this post, Sandy.

I love to make my oven apple pancake for guests with a side of peameal bacon. Gets ‘em every time. :-D

Tieghan — December 2, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

I always learn SO much from you! You are the greatest hostess!

These scones sound delicious! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — December 3, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

Such a beautiful post with such an important message about opening our doors. These scones look incredible – one of my mom’s favorite desserts/pastries. xoxo

Kerry — April 22, 2014 @ 6:41 am

How many eggs do we need?
    Thanks!

1. Pingback: Make-Ahead Sausage, Egg and Kale Strata | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening