CLASSIC Chocolate Rolled Angel Cake Recipe
Light and festive Chocolate Rolled Angel Cake Recipe. Bake and cool the cake, add the cream, berries, and roll. Beautiful for holiday entertaining! WATCH THE VIDEO!
Friends, I found this post from 7 years ago and made a video to show you how easy it is to make a rolled angel cake!
This is the perfect dessert for the holidays, a Chocolate Rolled Angel Cake! You may also want to try this White Chocolate Peppermint Bark Ice Cream Cake or Chocolate Peppermint Flourless Cake for holiday entertaining!
How to make a rolled angel cake
Line the bottom of a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Spoon the batter into the pan and bake. There will be cracks in the cake!
Place a clean towel on a work surfac, and with a sifter, lightly sprinkle powdered sugar onto the towel.
Loosen the edges of the cake with a spatula; immediately invert cake onto sugared towel.
Remove pan and waxed paper.
Starting with long side, roll up the cake in the towel, and cool the cake!
How to assemple the angel food cake
To assemble cake, carefully unroll the cooled cake, and remove the towel.
Spread whipped cream evenly over cake, leaving 1/2-in border.
Sprinkle raspberries over whipped cream. Roll cake, jelly-roll fashion (cake may crack).
Place 2 spatulas under roll, and transfer seam side down, to long platter. Store loosely covered in refrigerator at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
When it’s time to serve, sprinkle the rolled cake with sifted powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries.
Years ago my sisters and I would rotate houses for our “sister Christmas dinner.” It was special because ever since our Mother passed away, we told each other we’d still give small gifts to each other.
We still celebrate our “big” birthdays and Christmas with something litte, a reminder of our love for one another. (Above, growing up in Central Point, Oregon with our first dog, Tinker Bell.)
Our Mom loved to give gifts, and she always picked out just the right thing for us, too. My last gift from my mom was a simple, but large, white serving platter. I still use it a lot, and think of my mom. (Above in Medford, Oregon.)
So our giving, in a sense, is a reminder of our Mom, too.
I’m thankful for my sisters, and today I’m sharing one my sis Di’s specialty desserts that she makes for Christmas, a classic Chocolate Rolled Angel Cake Recipe.
This recipe is a good one because it serves at least 12!
You’ll see how light and simple the recipe is, and elegant, too. Raspberries on the inside and just a few for color on the serving platter. Beautiful!
Chocolate Rolled Angel Cake
- 1 16oz pkg angel food cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 Tbls cocoa
- 2 Tbls powdered sugar for dusting
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 Tbls powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Heat oven to 350. Grease 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Prepare cake batter as directed on package using water (add cocoa). Spoon batter into lined pan. Bake at 350 for 17-22 minutes or until golden brown and cracks in cake appear dry.Meanwhile, place clean towel on work surface. With sifter, lightly sprinkle powdered sugar onto towel. Loosen edges of warm cake with spatula; immediately invert cake onto sugared towel. Remove pan and waxed paper.Starting with long side, roll up cake in towel, cool on wire rack for 45 minutes or until completely cool.Meanwhile in large bowl, beat cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.To assemble cake, carefully unroll cooled cake, remove towel. Spread whipped cream evenly over cake, leaving 1/2-in border. Sprinkle raspberries over whipped cream. Roll cake, jelly-roll fashion (cake may crack).Place 2 spatulas under roll, and transfer seam side down, to long platter. Store loosely covered in refrigerator at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.To serve, sprinkle roll with sifted powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries.