New Year’s Day Ham Pesto Onion Cheese Poppyseed Sliders
Today I’m sharing my Ham Pesto Onion Cheese Poppyseed Sliders recipe, which is perfect for a casual party or game day snack!
It’s Happy New Year Week and I couldn’t be happier to share with you today my Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Slider recipe, which is perfect for a casual New Year’s Day party.
My Game Day Turkey, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Slider recipe was one of my most popular recipes of 2013, so I couldn’t help but change it up, using leftover holiday ham, whole wheat rolls, and making our friends HAPPY this past week, as we took a couple of pans to several different parties.
How to make your friends happy, or be the talk of the party? Bring these delicious sliders.
The secret is the pesto.
And the sweet onions.
Oh, and the “oh so sweet” mustard-y sauce.
This recipe is loved by all, and perfect for a casual New Year’s Day party, appetizer parties, football parties, tailgate parties, summer parties.
Seriously, there is not right or wrong season to make these delicious sliders.
The only problem … you can’t stop at just one. They are that good. :)
Casual and on the smaller side – serve with some side salads and veggies and fruit to nosh on.
What’s your favorite combination for a slider?
Ham Pesto Onion Cheese Poppyseed Sliders
Use an electric knife to cut the rolls in half horizontally! Easy! Make ahead of time and pour the sauce on right before baking. I usually use a 9×13 plus a 8×8 pan.
- 1 1/2 lb. deli ham thinly sliced (or leftover holiday ham)
- ½ lb. swiss cheese slices
- 2 pkg. whole wheat dinner rolls
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and sautéed
- ½ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in medium pan. Thinly slice the onion; sauté in the butter for about 5 minutes, or until clear and cooked.
- Line the pan(s) with foil.
- Leaving the (24) rolls attached, horizontally slice the top off; set aside. Place the bottom (attached 24 pieces) rolls in a 9×13 foil-lined baking pan. (You may need to squeeze them into the pan, or use a 9×13 + 8×8 pan:)
- Spread the pesto evenly over the bottom bread.
- Next layer on top of the pesto the ham, sautéed onions, and cheese slices.
- Place the top section of the rolls that you already removed back on top of the sandwich.
- In a medium sauce pan bring the 1/2 cup butter to a soft boil. Add mustard, worcestershire, poppy seeds, and brown sugar.
- Pour sauce over the 9×13 sandwiches.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.