Moist Peach Kuchen Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links.
Moist Peach Kuchen Recipe is made with fresh or canned peaches; the perfect summer breakfast or dessert served warm with whipped cream.
Enjoy a moist cake with simple flavors of peaches. It’s the perfect tea, breakfast cake, or evening dessert with a dab of fresh whipped cream! If you love kuchen, then this Best Blueberry Kuchen Recipe is another “must-try.”
Peach Kuchen Recipe
For the end of summer, this moist Peach Kuchen Recipe is one of our favorites! It reminds me of this quote …
“Food is more than the sum of its nutrients and a diet is more than the sum of its foods … Food is about pleasure, about community, about family and spirituality, about our relationship to the natural world, and about expressing our identity.” -Michael Pollan
I love Michael’s thoughts on food. It’s so true … food is so much more than what we put into our mouths. It’s very social–each bite can take us to our past, create new experiences for the present. It can bind us together for what is to come.
Food is love, and it makes us who we are, in so many ways!
Ingredients for PEACH KUCHEN:
- Flour + sugar
- Baking powder
- Milk + butter
- Vanilla + almond extract
- Whipped cream
Kuchen on a Sunday afternoon
Which brings me to this recipe today, a childhood favorite on a Sunday afternoon. Especially in the winter months, with little fresh fruit available, my mom would make Moist Peach Kuchen Recipe with her own canned peaches.
Every bite was comfort. How could it not be, with white flour and sugar? LOL.
What exactly is kuchen?
When I made a pan of kuchen (the German word for cake) this past week, we reminisced about the Sunday afternoon treats that mom would make years ago. And what is the meaning of a Kuchen? Traditionally it’s a variety of coffee cakes made from sweet yeast dough.
How to can peaches?
For this cake I opened a jar of newly canned peaches, which, by the way, if you’re new to canning, head over to Harry & David’s blog for a step-by-step post on how to can peaches! It’s easy! I’ll walk you through the process and show you the tools, ingredients, and “how to” process, with the end result: Beautiful jars filled with locally grown halved peaches!
You have a choice with canned peaches to add a lot of sugar, little sugar, or no sugar. I’ve tried the “no sugar” in the past, and they don’t seem as flavorful. This time I used “little sugar” and they turned out great. They had a bit of tartness to them in the cake, which I thought made it even better. I want to try this cake with canned pears, and maybe a brown sugar topping.
Peach Kuchen Recipe
Back to the cake. The original recipe calls for 2 large cans of purple plums, for which I substituted the peaches.
I also did not add the final “drizzle” and nuts but you may want to try that. But for now, take one bite, and I promise you will not be able to stop.
Tart and sweet. Perfection!
More peach recipes:
Peach Kuchen Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, you can use evaporated
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 quart canned peaches, sliced (drained – keep the juice)
- ⅔ cup flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp cinnamon, optional, sprinkle on top
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a mixing bowl, add the melted butter, egg, milk, sugar, and vanilla and almond extracts. Mix well. Then add the flour and baking powder; stir.
- Spoon the cake batter onto a greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. The dough will be thin and thick. Spread smoothly to the edges.
- Place the sliced peaches evenly on the dough with the cut side down.
- Spoon some of the juice on the peaches.
- To make the streusel topping, mix 2/3 cup of flour, sugar, and 6 Tbsp. of butter.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the cake.
- Optional to sprinnkle with cinnamon!
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. You’ll know its done when it’s bubbly and slightly browned along the sides. Don’t over bake!
- When the cake is slightly cooled, pour a drizzle (powdered sugar mixed with a tiny bit of milk) over the cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts (optional).
- Serve with whipped cream or Vanilla ice cream.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.