New Year’s Day Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

It’s Happy New Year Week and I couldn’t be happier to share with you today my Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Slider recipe, which is perfect for a casual New Year’s Day party.

My Game Day Turkey, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Slider recipe was one of my most popular recipes of 2013, so I couldn’t help but change it up, using leftover holiday ham, whole wheat rolls, and making our friends HAPPY this past week, as we took a couple of pans to several different parties.

How to make your friends happy, or be the talk of the party? Bring these delicious sliders.

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

The secret is the pesto.

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

And the sweet onions.

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

The cheese.

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

Oh, and the “oh so sweet” mustard-y sauce.

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

This recipe is loved by all, and perfect for a casual New Year’s Day party, appetizer parties, football parties, tailgate parties, summer parties.

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

Seriously, there is not right or wrong season to make these delicious sliders.

The only problem … you can’t stop at just one. They are that good. :)

Casual and on the smaller side – serve with some side salads and veggies and fruit to nosh on.

What’s your favorite combination for a slider?

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders

Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders Recipe

Yield: 12 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Use an electric knife to cut the rolls in half horizontally! Easy! Make ahead of time and pour the sauce on right before baking. I usually use a 9x13 plus a 8x8 pan.

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 lb. deli ham thinly sliced (or leftover holiday ham)
  • ½ lb. swiss cheese slices
  • 2 pkg. whole wheat dinner rolls
  • 1/2 cup pesto
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and sautéed
  • ½ cup butter
  • 2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
  • 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
  • ⅓ cup brown sugar

Directions:

1. Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in medium pan. Thinly slice the onion; sauté in the butter for about 5 minutes, or until clear and cooked.
  2. Line the pan(s) with foil.
  3. Leaving the (24) rolls attached, horizontally slice the top off; set aside. Place the bottom (attached 24 pieces) rolls in a 9×13 foil-lined baking pan. (You may need to squeeze them into the pan, or use a 9x13 + 8x8 pan:)
  4. Spread the pesto evenly over the bottom bread.
  5. Next layer on top of the pesto the ham, sautéed onions, and cheese slices.
  6. Place the top section of the rolls that you already removed back on top of the sandwich.
  7. In a medium sauce pan bring the 1/2 cup butter to a soft boil. Add mustard, worcestershire, poppy seeds, and brown sugar.
  8. Pour sauce over the 9×13 sandwiches.
  9. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
  10. Serve hot or cold.

19 Responses to “New Year’s Day Ham, Pesto, Onion & Cheese Poppyseed Sliders”

Mason Canyon — December 30, 2013 @ 9:44 am

Great way to use leftovers and have a tasty dish. Wishing you and your family a safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Kirstin — December 30, 2013 @ 10:30 am

oh yum!!! this sounds amazing!!!! I have never made sliders though they are on my list.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — December 30, 2013 @ 11:16 am

OMG! This looks amazing, Sandy! Perfect way to use up leftovers!

Debi B — December 30, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

Sandy, those look delicious!!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 30, 2013 @ 6:15 pm

These sliders look absolutely delicious, Sandy! Happy New Year to you and your family!! xo

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered — December 30, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

Yumm! though, I have never heard of pesto with these. I’ll have to try…

Your ham and onions look amazing as well. Never thought to caramelize them or have the ham sliced so thick.. (I’ve always used deli..)

Oh – you’re inspiring me!! for sure.

Happy New Year!

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — January 2nd, 2014 @ 10:35 am

Bevy, the thicker ham was DELSIH! Happy New Year to you, as well!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — December 30, 2013 @ 7:54 pm

My boys are going to love these little sandwiches! I love the addition of the pesto. Happy New Year!!

Tieghan — December 30, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

These look so incredible! Perfect for leftovers and I love the ham with the pesto! Happy New Year, Sandy!

Diane — January 1, 2014 @ 7:13 pm

They were terrible the bottom was a soggy mess and they were to messy to eat

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — January 2nd, 2014 @ 10:33 am

Interesting. I wonder why they were soggy; this hasn’t happened to me and I’ve gotten tons of emails raving how much they loved this recipe. Yes, they are messy, but shouldn’t be soggy. Email me and maybe we can work out why the sogginess!

Deborah — January 1, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

These look amazing!! I’m thinking they’d be perfect for game watching, too!

Shaina — January 3, 2014 @ 1:21 pm

My cousin’s wife brought a very similar dish to Christmas, and I loved it. I can’t wait to try these.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — January 6, 2014 @ 11:49 am

These look incredible, Sandy!!! I love the idea of making a big batch like this!

1. Pingback: Stuff I've Gotta Share and You've Gotta See | Recipe Girl

2. Pingback: Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See | Weight Loss & Wellbeing.

3. Pingback: Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See | Great Recipes Center

4. Pingback: Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See - Healthy and Yummy Food Recipes. - The Recipes Blog

5. Pingback: 70+ Appetizer Recipes to Make Any Party a Hit — Giving Up on Perfect